First on the list is to get the pointwork on the main board operational. I have continued with the idea I used on the fiddle yard. So far, the plywood projections to hold the point switches have been installed. The wire-in-tube connections from the tie bars have also been installed.
As with the fiddle yard, the protuberances look a bit odd at the moment, but will eventually help support a shelf for coffee mugs etc. so it will all look neat and tidy in the end.
Here's the underside. You can see some of the wire-in-tube installations at top right.
I haven't mentioned it here before, but I was working on a small 2mm finescale layout before the DJLC was announced. It has a strange history. At first, it was just a mock up for an idea I had for a new layout, made out of old scraps of plywood and timber. I then realised (with some prompting from colleagues) that I could just lay the track and it would make a great test track. It has a steepish gradient and slightly exaggerated superelevation, making it ideal for testing for any stock I build. The baseboard is such a hotch potch of bits and pieces there is only one name I can call it - 'Sadbuttrew'!
It worked fine. I even took it to a local area group meeting where a colleague tested a new loco chassis on it. The more I looked at it though, the more I saw a scenic layout emerging in my mind's eye. With that in mind, I altered the shape of the baseboard slightly and relaid a short section of track on the left hand side. This meant moving a couple of the point switches. I recently installed Blue Points for those. It is now fully operational again. There are only 4 turnouts, including an interlaced 3-way, as shown below.
I saw this layout as an opportunity to set myself slightly loose from the straightjacket of British railway modelling. I had some nice ideas for developing it scenically, including a backscene cobbled up from fantasy artwork found on the Internet. Not quite real, but believable - in another world.
Next on the agenda is to get the scenic board on Burghmire fully operational - basically just installing the slide switches that will operate the pointwork and connecting up a few wires. I can then start on some scenery. Hopefully, the next update won't be long!